With less than two weeks remaining until we say hello to a brand new year, now is the time to focus on those 2014 resolutions. Oftentimes people focus on things like losing weight, saving more money or furthering themselves in their careers. And while those are all worthy and important goals, it’s also vital that we focus on the way we present ourselves to the world.
When we look good, we feel good. And when we feel good about ourselves, we’re much more likely to make positive changes in our lives and do nice things for others. Next year, try and develop your own personal sense of style—and if you’re already a fabulous fashionista, take your trendiness to new heights in 2014. Here are some ideas for style and beauty resolutions to inspire you:
1. Wash your face and moisturize before going to bed. Whether you’re 25 or 65, it’s very important to take care of your skin. Resolve to always wash your makeup off and slather on a good night cream.
2. Clean your makeup brushes at least every other Sunday. Bacteria and products can build up on your brushes easily, and it’s important to keep them clean.
3. Make an effort to learn at least one new makeup trend in 2014. Master the art of the smokey eye or finally learn to properly use liquid liner. Freshen up your face!
4. Expand your accessories collection. This could mean getting a few new scarves, buying a few belts or treating yourself to some Hollywood jewelry. Mixing up your accessories can alter the look of your entire outfit, so you’ll get more use out of your clothing.
5. Focus on your hands. So many women neglect their beautiful hands. Care for your cuticles, use lotion every day, get regular manicures and decorate those digits with some celebrity rings.
6. Break at least one fashion “rule” in 2014. These rules are made to be broken! Wear white after Labor Day, mix your prints… whatever makes you happy! Taking a risk once may inspire you to take more style risks in the future.
7. Learn to walk in high heels. Even if you’re a flats kind of girl, mastering the art of strutting in stilettos will make formal occasions less stressful.
8. Drink more water. This may not seem like a beauty or style resolution, but drinking more water throughout the day will make your skin glow and your skinny jeans fit.
9. Learn at least one new hairstyle in 2014. If you’ve got long locks, master the art of loose waves. If you have a bob, see if there’s a loose bun you can do.
10. This one is obviously our favorite: treat yourself to one new piece of chic jewelry per month (or every other month if you’re on a budget). You deserve to replace those cheap trinkets with investment pieces you can wear for years to come.